I have worked in the service industry for roughly 4 years through various jobs. I have been a sales associate, a receptionist, and an intern for 2 different businesses.
I have had my fair share of being yelled at for something that I have absolutely no control over. So far I have only ever lost my cool once and I blame that on other stress factors at the given time. (School, friends, lack of sleep) Typically, I am able to balance my own emotion and not get worked up over a situation. In fact many times, I will laugh at the person.
In MOST cases the issue is never as bad as it seems; but to that person at that time, it is like Hurricane Katrina just ruined their birthday. Never a good day.
Today seemed to be national let's be rude to anyone in the service industry day.
I received numerous phone calls today and even people to my face that were just down right rude.
One lady practically told me I was worthless because I couldn't fix her washer. Last time I checked I didn't recently get my degree in fixing washing machines, but Scholastica could have fooled me and given me the wrong degree. She continued to complain for so long I finally started laughing, which of course did not help the situation. She asked why I was laughing and I said to her, lady, you have yet to stop running your mouth so I can give you the phone number for Sears, which is actually the company that sold you your washing machine that is now not working properly. She didn't not like that answer and continued to tell me all of the things that I, personally was doing wrong. I also did not put the Sears phone number in the phone book and I was making her life so much more difficult than she wanted.
Now, I understand that when something goes wrong you want answers. However, being rude and obnoxious may get you the "customer service" you want from most places. I can't help but laugh at how ridiculous you are being. In fact I wish most people in the service industries were a little more rude to the people that are being rude to them. What happened to treating people the way you want to be treated. It might end this idea that the customer can throw a temper-tantrum like a 5 year old to get what they want.
I say, grow up, be friendly, and understand that if you are polite, the person on the other end will more than likely be more willing to help you. Also thank them, remember if they didn't help you, you still would be stuck up shit creek without a paddle.
No comments:
Post a Comment