Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Kids these days....

If I had a nickel for every time I heard that I would be a billionaire, millionaire. It is a phrase that is commonly used but very rarely used correctly.

This phrase is used by older generations stereotyping the newer generations, it is a cycle that continues every year. (As ironic as it is, I stereotyped as well)

Most people that use this phrase have had a bad experience or even a few bad experiences with the newer generations. I agree that there are many "kids" that have very little work ethic or may have unique fashion ideas that catch the attention of others.

Although I agree that there are kids this way, it is also leads back to their parents and their environment growing up.

There are quite a few outstanding young people today that work their tails off to be able to be where they are today. They may have help from their parents and they may not have any help at all but either way they had to work hard.

As a person of the newer generations I get frustrated with my fellow peers and how they look at the world and the older generations. There are many that are very disrespectful and have terrible work ethic. But I have also noticed one key thing, most times, not all the time, their parents are helicopter parents.

Helicopter parents are those that hover over their children to make sure that everything is perfect for their baby. Well congrats to you parents, you have given your child everything they have ever wanted in life.

What happens when they have to learn to be on their own?
       Can they wash their own clothes?
       Can they find the court house to renew their license, or apply for a job and go through a job interview?
       Do they know what it means to take care of their living space?
       Can they cook a meal that does not come out of a box?
These are a few things that a person has to learn how to do on their own as well as be able to teach their children how to do in the future.

I grew up in a small town in southern Minnesota, going to college was a very eye opening experience for me. I have been very independent my whole life and to see some people struggle to be able to put a healthy meal together for themselves from the buffet line baffled me. There were peers of mine that had never even done their own laundry before. There were some that wanted their roommate or friend to wake them up for class. I honestly didn't know how they would survive college.

I'm not blaming parents solely because there is only so much they can do, but as parents be aware of how much you want to do for your children.


At some point, they have to grow up.

No comments:

Post a Comment